2013 was a great year, full of discovering new books. Throughout the year I read a great selection of books, but my utmost favorite book was Luna by Julie Anne Peters.This magnificent book is told through the perspective of the sister of a boy struggling with being transgender. The sister, Regan, is trying to go on through her own life in high school, while helping her brother through being his true self. The book gives flashbacks of Regan's childhood, showing Liam's difference from the start and how their whole family had to deal with it. This was my favorite book because it gave a realistic look in the life of someone who's transgender.
Luna was the first book I've ever read that talked about being transgender. Before I had read books about being gay or lesbian, but I had never really understood what it was like to be transgender. Although the book is told through Regan's point of view you still get a thorough look into what goes on when you're transgender. For example the book shows how not everyone will be excepting of your difference, by displaying Liam getting bullied by his father and other kids. The book also shows how being transgender can affect the people around you. Regan is affected for a long period of time because she has to make sure Liam stays safe due to his difference. It also shows the toll on his best friend, Allison, who isn't able to totally handle him being transgender. Overall, this book would be great for someone who is struggling with discovering themselves, or for someone who is curious about being transgender.
My second favorite book of 2013 was The Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. The book presented a whole different take on living, which I found very intriguing. The society presented in The Ender's Game was very futuristic and unlike anything I've ever read. I saw the movie before I read the book, and surprisingly I was still able to enjoy the book. The main character, Ender Wiggin, is a little boy but he is extremely intelligent. He shows great leadership skills and has a very clever mind. This book shows social ranking in a very different way and it was the main reason why it was my second favorite book of the year.
Social ranking is based off of skill in Battle school, in The Ender's Game. Usually in books and real life social ranking is determined by many different things, such as age, wealth and beauty, or uniqueness. That's why I was surprised to find that in The Ender's Game you were respected if you were very skilled. Ender is clever and skilled in Battle school, and although he hasn't been training for long he has gained many people's respect. He is a young captain with great skill and that makes him important despite his age.
These were my favorite two books of 2013 and I hope that these reviews will encourage you to give these books a try!
No comments:
Post a Comment