"Banned Book Manifesto" by Ellen Hopkins is an article supporting the idea that books shouldn't be banned because someone doesn't approve of the content in a book. Ellen Hopkins then goes on to portray the great effects of her books on many of her readers. She then shares with the readers her several dis-invitations and the reasons behind them. The explanation that parents or librarians go to superintendents complaining about the "dark" or inappropriate content in her books, is given. She writes about the fact that censorship shouldn't continue and that books shouldn't be banned for everyone since some people can handle the topics in these books. She then ends her article with a thought-provoking poem titled "Manifesto", which is about people choosing to ban books and remove them from libraries.
Ellen Hopkins uses a long list of craft moves in order to present her ideas. She starts out with imagery, writing about one of the many experiences she's had talking to people who's life changed due to Crank. Ellen Hopkins than goes on to use a powerful phrase describing the woman that "saw herself in those pages" and turned her life around. This helps to show the reader how widely her work can effect her readers and get them through rough situations. She uses a sort of dis-contented tone throughout the article, which cause the reader to feel sympathy, and maybe even empathy, towards Ellen Hopkins' situation. She also uses some strong words, writing that " What's perhaps not right for one child is necessary to another." Showing the importance of the idea that banning books affect everyone including the people that aren't involved in the banning.
Ellen Hopkins wrote a very thought-provoking article with a claim that I highly agree with. I believe that one person shouldn't decide what I'm reading if they aren't significant in my life. A few lines that stood out to me were "If you don't like content in a book, don't read it. If you don't want your child to read a book, take it away. But you do not have the right to decide "appropriateness" for everyone." These lines are extremely true and I feel like they express the fairness in banning books. It shows that one librarian that someone may not even know can prevent someone from reading a certain book, because the they don't think the topic is appropriate. I felt as though I connected with the ideas in this article and feel strongly about Ellen Hopkins claim.
I really liked the line too. It really showed how people don't have the right to ban books, and no right to keep others from reading a book that one does not like. This was a really good post!
ReplyDelete